What is DNAVIEW®?
An integrated software package for DNA identification
||investigation of criminal and paternity cases, disaster identification, and for research
|| PCR systems including STR's, SNP's, insertion/deletion
autosomal, Y-haplotype, X-linked
||Windows 7, 8, XP (32 bit), Virtual PC, 98, etc. Or DOS.
History and concept
- DNAVIEW is the universally acknowledged
for DNA identification.
- Leading paternity and crime laboratories have been using it Dr. Charles Brenner.
. They appreciate not only the reliability and sophistication of
the software, but also the authority that it represents
created and supported by
- The design, especially in the details, owes much to direct interaction and feedback from
- DNAVIEW is more than a software package. It is better understood
as an amalgam with a software component but also
and as well interaction with the world-wide DNAVIEW User
- Also explores — considers various numbers of
contributors and various combinations of references.
- Amazingly fast — seconds or minutes where other
programs take hours or days,
- despite being more thorough — uses mathematics, not
Applications include immigration casework in several countries;
identifying Croatian & Bosnian war dead, Argentine orphans,
SwissAir crash victims,
World Trade Center victims.
- analyzes all irregular cases including reconstruction, deficiency, incest,
missing body, inheritance,
even twin zygosity
- incorporates Y-haplotypes
- Kinship Simulation permits predicting the
potential utility of DNA for a kinship problem.
Paternity case analysis routine version
Crime case calculators
In September 2001 DNAVIEW immediately became part of the World Trade Center
victim identification work; and was the main analysis tool for DNA identification.
The screening module and the
Kinship program are the essential tools for finding and
verifying DNA identifications, especially those where the
link is to living relatives.
DNAVIEW has been widely used in both the Thailand and
Japanese tsunami victim identifications, Hurricane Katrina, and is also used for other
mass identification projects including desaparacito children from El
Salvador and war victims in Bosnia, Mexico, Kuwait,
Guatemala, Argentina, and Iraq to
name a few of many instances.
- Screening module
- Kinship simulation
||VWA allele frequencies
- Allele/fragment length frequency databases:
- available for all common loci
- compile automatically from your own case data
- import or type in
- graphical display (screen, printer, or research
paper) and comparison
- Convicted offender database capability
database search for duplicates or for a specified pattern
- Database validation:
|Import data from various platforms including the ABI 3xxx, and the Hitachi FMBIO
- STR/PCR input automatic
(ABI GeneMapper, Genotyper, Genescan, Hitachi STaRCall data files)
or manual (type or mouse-click)
- RFLP-VNTR various methods
- Database validation & statistics
- estimate mutation rates from casework data
- PC (possibly Mac using the Virtual Box simulator.)
- a printer is recommended, DOS-compatible laserjet preferred
- The DNAVIEW subscription (inquire for prices) includes:
- on-site , typically 1+ weeks of interactive instruction
but depending on which DNAVIEW features are of most interest. Maximum 5 students.
- a year of program and of mathematical and
software technical ,
- reference data for many hundreds of populations and loci
- exchange of DNAVIEW via the DNAVIEW Users' Group.
- DNAVIEW User's .
The 300+ page book —
- explains all the programs,
- includes a tutorial giving keystroke-by-keystroke instructions for routine work,
- has discussions on fundamental issues of statistics and probability,
- is thoroughly indexed and illustrated.
- DNAVIEW is in use at over 100 laboratories in six continents (Antarctica please come in).
References available on request.
Please inquire for further details
Forensic mathematics home page