How we do web conferences
- What is a web conference?
It's a way of viewing another computer's display remotely, and even of taking control of
a remote computer. We use the computer screen for video, and have a phone connection on
A reasonably fast Internet connection DSL or cable is necessary. I
think a 56kb phone connection will be too cumbersome. And of course many labs don't
allow their data-critical computers such as those running DNAVIEW to connect
to the Internet, so that's a limitation too.
It is therefore useful for
- Through a web conference link, I can show DNAVIEW or PATER in operation
- Not as good as being there, but a lot better than just a telephone
- solving operational problems (debugging etc.)
- Normally this means running the software on your computer and letting me
watch or even control.
I use the Raindance service for web
- How to join
- If we will want to run DNAVIEW on your computer, and you
use Windows XP or similar operating system, first be sure that it will
run with "below normal" priority as explained above.
- At the appointed time, or through telephone contact, please load the web
- Click on "Join a Call / Meeting" to obtain the following screen:
- Enter your name and email.
- Enter the conference ID which I will give you. I don't want to put it
on this page, but once you know the seven-digit number it it won't change
for future meetings. Click Join Meeting.
- The first time only that you conference from a computer
- you need to install Raindance Seminar Edition.
- Click Download Now.
- Permit the download and installation of client software.
- A conference window opens.
- Click ok if you have no camera.
- If asked to Select a (phone) Number, please ! We'll talk through an
ordinary phone connection, not their expensive one.
- Before you start
- Older DNAVIEW/PATER versions slow your computer
If you run DNAVIEW or PATER on a Windows NT (including XP, 2000, etc) computer,
you may have noticed that it is very hard to do anything else at the same time.
Apparently the problem is Windows wants to devote 99+% of the CPU (computing) cycles to a DOS
process (which these programs are) so any other process that you try to run at the same time is very
That would be a problem with running DNAVIEW and the web conferencing
software on the same computer at the same time. (No problem for you if you just want
to watch a demo on my machine.)
Therefore it is important to run DNAVIEW / PATER at a proper priority.
Download a new, updated version of the
DNAVIEW startup file or the
PATER startup file as the case may be.
Save the downloaded file dnaview.bat or pater.bat
in the DNAVIEW directory, replacing the older version of the file already there.
- Full-screen mode
Switch a DOS process into or out of full-screen with Alt-Enter.